General Travel Vaccination Advice for Gambia
The decision to take a trip to Gambia is your decision and you are accountable for getting all the vaccination you are required to have prior to your planned trip to Gambia.
The web content on this page is given information only and collected from travel advice and warnings for Gambia by authorities around the world to their citizens.
While we make every effort to give you correct travel advice information, it is provided on an “as is” basis without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied.
General Vaccination Needed for Gambia
Do I need to vaccination when travelling to Gambia? Any person choosing to embark on vacation or business trip to Gambia need to consult a healthcare expert or go to a travel health clinic preferably 6 weeks prior to you travel regarding the folloing:
Routine Vaccinations – Be sure that your routine vaccines such as vaccination for measles-mumps-rubella (MMR), diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, polio, varicella (chickenpox), flu and others are up-to-date regardless of your trip to Gambia.
In addition, you may be at risk for these vaccine-preventable diseases when travelling in Gambia. Speak to your travel health professional regarding which of these injections are right for you:
- Covid 19 is a contagious viral disease. It can spread from one person to another by direct contact as well as through droplets in the air.
- Hepatitis B A disease of the liver spread through blood or various other bodily fluids. Visitors that might be exposed (e.g., through sexual contact, clinical therapy, sharing needles, tattooing, acupuncture or occupational exposure) must get vaccinated.
- Influenza (Flu) Seasonal flu happens worldwide is triggered by an infection spread from one person to another when they cough or sneeze or by touching objects and also surfaces that have been contaminated with the virus.
- Measles is a very transmittable viral disease. It can spread out swiftly from one person to another by direct contact and through droplets in the air.
- Tick-borne encephalitis is present in some locations of Gambia and it is a viral disease that affects the central nervous system (brain as well as spinal cord). It is spread to human beings by the bite of infected ticks or when you consume unpasteurized milk products.
Is it safe to take a trip to an area with animals in Gambia?
Travellers to Gambia are generally cautioned to stay away from contact with animals, including canines, monkeys, snakes, rodents, birds, and also bats. Some infections located in some areas of Gambia, like bird influenza and also rabies, can be shared between human beings as well as animals.
Whilst travelling Gambia, is it safer to drink water in Gambia?
Tourists to any location worldwide including Gambia can get travellers’ diarrhea from consuming contaminated water or food.
As food and water can become carries of diseases like cholera, hepatitis A, schistosomiasis and typhoid, constantly practice safe food and water precautions while taking a trip in any part of the world. Remember: Boil it, cook it, peel it, or leave it!
Travel insurance policy for Gambia
Travel health cover is among the primary factors travellers obtain travel insurance. It will not prevent you getting sick or injured, though it can avoid you suffering financially. Medical support overseas can be really expensive.
You need to pay for all healthcare you get overseas. You can not expect to get free or subsidised care through your Gambia’s public health system, like you would in your home country.
If you can not pay, local authorities might jail you. The government from your home country can’t pay you health care bill for you, loan you money or get you out of jail.
You require travel insurance coverage for travelling to Gambia. You also need to see to it you select a plan that is right for you.
Read through the fine print of your travel insurance policy.
Declare all pre-existing conditions to your travel insurer upfront. If you don’t, you may void your travel insurance plan.
Tell your travel insurance provider the activities you plan to do, before you go. Many common activities like skiing are excluded in basic plans. You may need to pay extra.
Check if you have complimentary credit card travel insurance coverage. Some cards include travel insurance cover. However, they frequently have different conditions than paid policies. Be aware of the differences.
If you’re going to Gambia from a country that has a reciprocatory health care arrangement, you still need travel health insurance. Agreements are restricted in what they’ll will cover.
If you have an incurable ailment, you may not have the ability to obtain standard travel insurance coverage. Nonetheless you might be able to get a specialised insurance provider that covers you for health, mishaps or property problems unconnected to your illness. Speak to your insurance company to learn.
Find out more about getting international travel insurance coverage for Gambia prior to you go.